Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's With All The Lana Del Racism?

Lana Del Rey – formerly known as Lizzy Grant, is a talented musician from New York, who finally got the opportunity to show the world what she’s about. In return, all she’s been getting is bad reviews, for being “fake” and “cant live up to her image”. I’ll admit though, this all American, 70’s vintage look, paired up with depressing, “bottom of the ocean” style ballads, had me a little thrown off from the start; Never-the-less, she most definitely caught my eye.

After watching a few music videos’ – to seriously ‘understand’ this mysterious new persona – I felt like I had to wipe away the tears and head to Kensington Market for some new gear. I don’t agree with the critics who are bashing both her musical and fashion styling’s. While I had expected more of a pop sound upon first finding out about her, I personally love the song she’s written. They are soulful and very expressive.

Her recent performance on SNL was not the best first impression for her. Her nerves made her look and sound like she was on high doses of Xanax, which didn’t help her cause – but once again I was mesmerized by her entire image. Will this “Damsel in Distress” inspire fashion? Will this old – School look be spotted down the streets of Toronto this summer? I’m leaning towards yes; H&M will most certainly have a section of billowy tops and High-Waisted, A-Line skirts. I personally believe that she’s a beautiful girl with beautiful songs and a bright future. As for her sound.. Get used to it, because the clubbing bus left when Adele Showed up; and its my prediction that harmonious, heart breaking songs will fill the airwaves in 2012.

If you like relaxing, a glass of wine, and chilled out music... go buy 'Born to Die' now, i highly suggest it!

Adonis Chantz

No comments:

Post a Comment