Monday, February 27, 2012

Steam is the New Iron

One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to clothing has to be wrinkles. They turn up in the oddest places at the most inconvenient times. Another pet peeve of mine is ironing; I absolutely hate it with a passion. By the time I pull out my ironing board I am exhausted. I dislike how every piece of clothing I own has to be ironed a certain way. Jeans take at least seven minutes a pair if done properly. Dress pants require a pleat at the front, which equals to ten minutes per pair, and shirts range depending on fabric, but the standard ironing time is three to five minutes a shirt. Dresses are impossible to iron as they need to be ironed from every angle possible (ten minutes at least!). Therefore, as you can see, I despise ironing, but due to my interest in fashion and the strong desire to take care of every piece of clothing I own, and make it look great, I needed to discover an easy solution that would make my wrinkles disappear. That is when I discovered the magic of the steamer. I purchased my first steamer (a compact hand held unit) about a year ago. From then on, I have not once pulled out my iron/ironing board. I became so attached to this steamer and all of the wonderful things it did for my clothing. The power of steam is comparable to the power of an iron. The steamer produces a hot steam which is ejected from the head of the steamer, which you directly place along your item of clothing, and before your eyes, your wrinkles disappear. I began my steaming obsession with steaming all of my tops (knit, woven, silk etc.), then started steaming larger items such as dress pants and jeans. I started to find my small hand held steamer difficult to use because I always had to find free space to hang the item I was steaming, to ensure a wrinkle free outcome. This is when I purchased an upright steamer. Still compact, but more powerful, an upright steamer lets you steam for up for 60 minutes without adding water, and produces an even, powerful steam flow which cuts through any wrinkle. Also, an upright steamer comes equipped with a place for a hanger, which makes life so much easier. There are no specific steaming techniques that I recommend; you will find techniques which are suited to you and your clothing, the more you use your steamer. I whole-heartedly recommend purchasing an upright steamer if you dread the thought of ironing, and I ensure you, you will save an extreme amount of time. I suggest the upright Rowenta steamer which is sold for commercial and household use. It is sleek, easy to store, and powerful!
Enjoy Steaming!
Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment