Monday, November 7, 2011

Cotton? Not A Friendly!

Cotton is not your hair's friend.

Being Caribbean-Canadian (African American, Black, whatever!), my hair is always a constant worry for me. My hair is chemically treated and coloured, so I'm continually looking for ways to better take care of my hair. For some time I would wonder why my hairwould be dry and breaking, no matter how often I moisturized or treated it. I was told that I needed to start wrapping my hair. Naturally, I asked "Why?".

Apparently, our cotton pillow cases are sucking out the moisture in our hair. The fabric we are most comfortable in and all love to wear, is a thief. Whether it is 100% cotton or a cotton blend, it doesn't matter, cotton is an absorbing fibre. Meaning, what ever hair care products you put into your hair will be removed when ever you lay your head down.

The best way to protect your hair from this moisture-sucking fibre, is to wrap your hair. Taking a wide tooth comb, comb your hair around your head - it'll look kind of like a beehive - then wrap your hair with a scarf. A silk scarf would be best, but if silk is out of your reach rayon works just as well. Silk or rayon are the best because they'll help your hair maintain its moisture and minimize and breakage.

Have Happy Hair!
Dani Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment