Thursday, June 21, 2012

Straight Talking


Mane-Taming





Ever since I was a little girl, I've had an ongoing battle of taming my naturally curly hair. Ironing my hair on an ironing board, breaking brushes, hot combs so hot that you could see the smoke and hear the sizzle as soon as they touched my curls. I thought that I had tried it all with some to no success.
A couple of years ago, I thought that all of my prayers had been answered when I discovered "The Brazilian Blowout". The hype was totally right, it made my hair manageable, it straightened in half of the time and for once in my I could achieve "beachy waves" with the use of the right products. But then there there was all of the negative press about the treatment's active ingredients -Formaldehyde- being the major culprit. And it seems like the hair salons providing the treatment either went under ground, meaning you had to know someone who knows someone for salons to even admit to providing the service. Or the "new" safer treatments that apparently didn't contain formaldehyde just didn't cut the mustard.
Just when I thought all was lost.....
Enter, Bumble and Bumble's Concen- Straight SmoothingTreatment. No Formaldehyde,no Cysteine and no Lye.
I'm always on the lookout for stuff that can fix my frizz, and whenever I hit Sephora I always end up buying new products that claim to tame all sorts of hair types. So when I stumbled upon this self- proclaimed hair miracle in a bottle, I figured: Why the hell not?
I got it home and diligently read the instructions, and then I got all of the wind knocked out of my sails when they said: "For best results, wash hair first withBumble and Bumble Straight Shampoo. F**k!
So, I figured if I was going to try this miracle potion I might as well follow the directions to the letter to get the best results. Back to Sephora I go....
I read the instructions again and even go as far as watching the YouTube video:Sephora Presents: Concen-Straight.
I did everything by the book, and even skipped the gym. -sweat=curls-
Waiting the 24 hours to see the final results was like watching paint dry, I couldn't wait to hop into the shower and see how my hair was going to turn out. When the moment of truth arrived, I opted to let it air dry instead of taking a blow dryer to it so that I could see how tamed my curls really were.
And the verdict: THIS STUFF BLEW MY MIND!
My curls were much looser,defined and there was almost no frizz in sight. I added a little Kiel's Heat-Protective Silk Straightening Cream-which is the best stuff ever- just to seal the deal, and went on my merry way.
Spring weather is manic and a curly haired girl's worst nightmare, rain, humidity, crazy wind warnings. None of it affected my hair's new found composure.
My friend's noticed the difference almost immediately, and for once didn't get pissed off and even encouraged them to touch my hair! -Which I usually hate-
In short: I'm now going to be totally addicted to this DIY hair treatment, the only downside is skipping the gym to avoid sweating. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment