Monday, May 9, 2011

Just Bead It!




Just Bead It!
BY
Ibum Obu

I am something, I could compliment any outfit, be a main statement, worn in more ways than one, I date back through centuries and posses unique beauty and history but am still a huge fashion statement till this day, I can be worn to any event or social gathering. What am I ? Any guesses…. BEADS! Many years after they were first recorded in history they're still widely worn all over the world, and in some cases, are actually quite valuable. Let me give you a little BEAD history.


Many years ago, European traders bartered brightly colored handmade beads in Africa for natural resources. Beads were taken by traders to Africa as highly specialized currencies as late as the 1950's. And today various kinds of beads are among Africa's most popular exports to the western world. Beads are used as fashion accessories by both men and women, and the combination of beauty and history makes the beads collectible.

Why all this history…? Well as I stated earlier, beads have been around for quite a while. They are gaining in popularity and something tells me they will continue to be part of fashion for a long time coming. What do you think? Beads could work for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment