Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Trends that make me ask "WHY?"




There are some fashion trends that I do not understand.  I know that everyone’s view of fashion is different.  What may look good to me will not always be appealing to you.  This could be because of the way we were raised, where we live or just based on our own taste levels.  No matter our preferences, we should all wear what makes us happy even if no one else understands or likes it.

On that note, here are some trends that leave me asking “Why?”



Crocs
 

Crocs come in many sizes and colors but one basic shape.  I have seen people wear them to work, school and the mall.  I do not understand the fascination with them and I do not want to either.  They may be comfortable but they are also very ugly.  I believe it is possible for shoes to look good and be comfortable.  They are cute on toddlers but not on adults and should not be worn to work or in public. 
 
Over the top heel-less shoes
 

Extremely high heels are already a no-no for me and these shoes have warning signals all over them.  There are nicer and safer versions of this design out there which are basically wedges with an exaggerated curved back.  These shoes remind me of the back of Mr. Tumnus’ legs from The Chronicles of Narnia.  Although I like mythical creatures, these shoes leave me feeling creeped out and wondering when the wearer is going to fall.

Overdrawn eyebrows
 

Eyebrows are one of the most important parts of the face.  They can age, soften and also make a woman look masculine or outdated.  A very popular eyebrow trend today is the overdrawn, too thick, square look that features concealer to emphasize the shape. Eyebrows should be as natural as possible and this trend is unnecessary and unattractive.

Sagging skinny pants on men
 

It looks like sagging pants and skinny jeans had a kid.  Two trends on men that I already found distasteful has morphed into the sagging skinny jeans  phenomena that guys are sporting today.  These pants are tight and fit snuggly around the thighs, knees and legs and display a man’s underwear for the world to see.  Many women find this trend sexy but fortunately I am not one of them. 
 
Lace front wigs
 

Lace front wigs are hairpieces that are made using a sheer lace base.  They are made using lace on the entire wig or just at the hairline.  Full lace wigs can be pulled into different styles including up-dos and ponytails but the lace front wigs cannot otherwise it would be obvious that it is a wig (which is very bad). It is usually attached at the front hairline using glue or tape.

When done right lace front wigs can look nice but my problem with them is that they hardly ever are.  When done incorrectly, the wearer looks like they have a too small or too big forehead.  It looks unnatural and it’s obvious that they are wearing a wig.  People should not be able to tell that it is a wig or in this case, a lace front. 

Face tattoos 
 

Tattooing is a form of body modification that involves inserting indelible ink into the dermis layer of the skin.  People do it for many different reasons and on various parts of their bodies including their faces.  It is my opinion that tattoos on the face should be a well thought out decision and one that should not be regretted.  Many choose to tattoo the name of their partner on their face.  Will these people still be together in a year? Trends and relationships come and go so quickly that I know some people end up with buyer’s remorse.  I will not be putting anyone’s name on my face - ever.

What are some trends that you don't like?
 
by Myrlande Julien



No comments:

Post a Comment