Thursday, February 14, 2013

Legs for Days! The Key to Rocking Shorts Year Long

Living in a four season climate makes transitioning wardrobe pieces much more challenging, especially with the recent storm we got hit with in Toronto! Despite the chilly weather, I've always been a big fan of integrating shorts into my winter wardrobe - typically with a pair of patterned or colored tights. This upcoming spring/summer season is one that is reaching new lengths, with the return of Bermuda shorts and short suits (blazer/short combo). I'm guessing many of you thought what I initially had when reading 'bermuda shorts' but seeing all the amazingly styled runway looks has gotten me pretty close to investing in a pair. Although, realistically I know this is an incredibly hard trend to pull off without looking stumpy or drawing attention to unwanted areas. And I've always been a firm believer of dressing for one's body type and not adapting a trend just for the sake of looking current. There are many ways to emulate the trend in more flattering ways or opting for some other trends that you enjoy just as much and are more suited for your body and style.

Take a look at my favorite looks from the runway - it was so tough to narrow it down to only three looks:

Note My (along with the rest of the world's) Obsession Cara on the Right, She Can Seriously Rock Anything!

And here are some swoon worthy picks to help you transition from winter to spring in style:
Tartan Denim ShortsSuede ShortsStripe ShortsYuri ShortTile Print Cotton Poplin ShortsJodie Rocking Stretch Silk Shorts

This season's trends can be tricky but with my three commandments you'll have no trouble sporting these leg baring trends. Check them out below:

1. Be aware of the length of the shorts you are wearing. Too short and you could be on the brink of a wardrobe malfunction (unfortunately shorts were extra 'cheeky' last summer) or too long and it could leave you looking like a short log. Remedy this by being aware of where your lines hit on your body (by lines I mean hems), wherever it ends is where a 'cut off' point will be formed. This will either create a lengthening or shortening effect depending on where you are designating for people's eye lines to end.

    • The shorter the length, the longer your legs will seem and vice versa. Also be wary of how certain lengths will work for certain occasions better than others and the impression your outfit creates. 
2. Always take fabrication into consideration. The darker, thicker and more textured the fabric the more likely it is suited for winter and the lighter, thinner and less textured the fabric is, the better suited for warmer weather.

3. A good rule of thumb to dress by is loose and fitted or/and short and long. Like I mentioned above, balance is so important to any outfit. I try to balance out a pair of more fitted shorts with options like over-sized blazers, sweaters and tees - which also balances out the skin to clothing ratio. (Yes, this is something to think about. I typically say if I'm showing legs, I'll cover my arms and same goes for the rest. Although, there are some unbearably hot days where I'll be caught bare legged and armed.)

How are you guys pairing up your winter shorts? Will you be adapting any of the new spring trends?

Until next time,

Kelly

For more inspiration and tips head over to The3Commandments for some awesome fashion, pabulum and travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment