Monday, December 3, 2012

The Cult of Consigment


For the average girl in the city, dressing for holiday parties can be expensive and stressful. After another sleepless night of outfit planning, it was time to go shopping. Holt Renfrew would have the perfect dress for the perfect price, as would David’s and Browns. It would take me ten minutes and I would magically be ready for anything.
Unfortunately, Holt Renfrew DID have the right dress, however, the price was less than ideal. After a cold walk along Bloor Street, and many shocking price tags, I gave up. I put my faith in my mother, the serial shopper. She pointed me in the direction of Toronto’s best consignment stores. The first one I arrived at, Fashionably Yours, had a great selection of shoes, mostly in small sample sizes, but impeccably kept and very reasonable.
If you don’t care about buying last seasons Louboutins, this place is perfect. For $300 I picked up the perfect pair of black pumps, they would go with everything and the price couldn’t be beat.
Next, I went just down the street to ReMix, this place is the mecca of ‘pre-loved’. Walls lined with couture in every possible color, heels of all heights, a slightly pretentious but knowledgeable staff. Then I see it, the most wonderful sign in the world. “Rentals on all items available”. 
They explain to me that I can rent the dress, purse and accessories I want for just 25% of the cost. I am in heaven. I now possess the ability to get an outfit for every party, at a fraction of the cost. With the fear of outfit repetition gone, and my credit card in hand, I rented the most wonderful outfits, for every party.
The guilty pleasure that accompanies you when you are complimented on a dress that is so far out of your budget, while laughing inside as you remember the double-digit price you paid.
The consignment culture in Toronto is slowly growing, these places are not well known, however, to those who make this part of their holiday shopping trips, you will not regret it. 


Francesca Bata Blyth 

No comments:

Post a Comment