Monday, December 3, 2012

FUR ON FASHION


For years my ancestors wore fur. They did so because it was economical available and sensible. Then some style savvy people decided it was fashionable desirable and marketable. Then the very same people decided it was a despicable barbaric intolerable representation of unnecessary horror. With no truthful way to condemn the very fashion they themselves had popularized, the rich and famous savers of the world and all god's creatures resorted to propaganda to stop the very thing they started.

My great grandfather navigated the Labrador coast with only the stars as his guide. He was a heroic angel to the young English nurses who found themselves hurled into harsh Labrador circuits. They depended on him. He was well recognized for both his intelligence and dependability, they put their faith and lives in his hands and because of that many souls were saved. He was quiet soft spoken man dressed from head to toe in sealskin. An angel who slept in a sealskin sleeping bag carefully fashioned by my great grandmother. What would he have thought if he could have foreseen that the world would someday see him as a barbarian?

Seal harvesting and the wearing of the fur was a way of life representing my heritage and I choose to wear it proudly. Some readers of this blog may choose not to. I respect your choice. Respect is what makes our country Canada. By the way I proudly stand in my sealskin boots and say Merry Christmas because that is my heritage also. I have a funny feeling some people won't like that either. But if you must stand in cow leather and say Happy Holidays. I respect you.
Seal Skin Boots


By, Lauralee Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment