Monday, April 25, 2011

The Next Social Media Obsession

by Kristie Scott

"Pin it!" my roommate Facebook comments on my shared photo of candy sushi I was so craving.
"You would say that" I think to myself as I am reminded of her typically cuddled on the couch, MacBook in hand, almost shouting to me "I can't stop pinning!"

Personal profiling knows many tunnels of expression in today's modern world of social media. And the latest infatuation to this phenomenon is "Pinterest", a website where users share their interests via "pinning" pictures of the things they like or are inspired by.

How it works? You open the story book of your many-pinning-adventures-to-come by first dragging the "pin it" button into your bookmarks or favourites bar. After this, find a picture from any site and directly pin it to one of your "boards" by simply clicking on the pin it button.

Boards are what categorize your pins, i.e. "Wedding Inspiration", "Style", "Food", etc. You can also "follow" other users and "repin" their pins. Sounds like twitter, except with pictures, right? Except Pinterest is a little more exclusive. You have to request an invite to join, or receive an invite from an existing user.

But don't fret my future pinners-to-be! After all, Facebook was once restricted to Ivy League universities, and look where it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment