Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cartoon Style


Saturday morning cartoons played a huge part in my childhood. I woke up at the crack of dawn to absorb a solid six hours of animated goodness while I slurped what seemed to be endless amounts of cereal milk. I would spend the remainder of the afternoon playing in my own world of make believe. I wouldn't realize how influential these cartoon days were until my style evolved as a result of some of my favourite shows.

Exhibit A: Carmen Sandiego

I had this fascination with being a secret agent/spy as a child. I was always on some covert mission, writing messages in invisible ink and perfecting my dive roll to evade enemies. Carmen Sandiego fuelled this aspiration as well as my obsession with long locks, hats and jackets.


Exhibit B: Morticia Addams

At one point in my adolescence my father asked me, "Do you always have to wear blaack?". He would put this weird emphasis on the second syllable to make some point I have still ignored to this day. I loved wearing black. I could be harbouring a complete mess on my person without it being obvious. I have traced my personal justification of wearing all black, always, to Morticia Adams. In my eyes, she made black sexy and sultry in a dangerous black widow kind of way. Badass.




Exhibit C: Jem and the Holograms

These rockin fashionistas were awesome. It was this show that sparked the desire to have pink and purple hair much to my fathers dismay. And to start a rock band, even if we were playing air instruments.



Peace,

Victoria



No comments:

Post a Comment